Kilmington is a small country village in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty about five minutes drive on the A35 from the market town of Axminster which has a Cottage Hospital, a large medical practice, an active Care Service, a range of shops, an indoor swimming pool and a large sports centre. Communications are good, with Axminster station only a mile or so away which has frequent services to London in under 3 hours. Exeter International Airport can be reached in 35 minutes and the M5 is accessible within 40 minutes. It is in close reach of Exmoor, Dartmoor and the whole south Devon and Dorset Jurassic coast with its wonderful walks and cycle rides.
The Village Community
The population of Kilmington is approximately 800. It is a tightly knit and caring community which has many very active clubs and organisations helping to bind its people together, with a fairly busy social life. There are many elderly and retired people but the number of young families has increased recently. Its Primary School, rated outstanding by OFSTED, is fully subscribed with children from the local area; excellent secondary schools are within easy reach in Axminster, Colyton and Lyme Regis. The Village is lucky to have a modern and well used village hall, two public houses, an excellent farm shop and a garage with a well stocked shop. It has a lovely recreational field which has supported the well known cricket club for over 100 years. This is also equipped with a tennis court, pavilion and children’s play park. Further details can be found at www.kilmingtonvillage.com with many photographs reflecting Village and Church activities. The Village magazine, Post-script, published monthly keeps everyone well informed and supplements the information in the Parishes Paper.
The Parish Church and parishioners of St Giles play a very substantial role in the life of the Village. The long established Kilmington Baptist Chapel burnt down some years ago, but it has continued to serve residents and now has a smart new building, The Beacon. Joint Services between St Giles’ Church and the Baptists are held on Remembrance and Palm Sundays
St Giles’ Church
While there is some evidence of a chapel on the site in 937 AD, a church was built in the 12th Century, a tower being added in the 14th Century; six bells were installed in it at various times between 1672 and 1845. The rest of the church was totally rebuilt in 1862. The churchyard was extended in the year 2000 which included a Millennium Memorial garden. Major improvements were made in 2006/7 when a north door porch was constructed with toilet facilities and a kitchen provided at the back of the church. Records show that the church has been well maintained over the years and generously supported financially by village residents. If you would like to find out more about the St. Giles Churchyard League of Friends (FROGS) or how to join them, you can do so here.